Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lunch with Ajith - Part 2

"Where is Dev, Naaz?" Ajith asked me. 
I didn't know how to respond to that question. 
"I don't know, Ajith" I replied slowly.

Both of us ate in silence for the rest of the afternoon. 
"Naaz?" Ajith spoke, after what seemed like eons to me. Sometimes silence can be so brutal. 
"The food here is good" I replied.
"Yeah, I told you so." He spoke and smiled at me. "How about some desserts?"
"hmmm... sure, I'd like some"

Ajith ordered cheesecake for both of us. We ate, paid the bill and left the place.

"Why don't we walk" Ajith asked me.
Though I was is no mood, I didn't have anything on my agenda and nodded yes. 

It was 4 in the afternoon, cars and bikers were zooming past us as we walked down the streets of Adyar. We didn't speak to each other. But we kept exchanging glances at each other throughout the walk. 

Every time I looked at Ajith, he'd look at me. Every time he looked at me, I'd look at him.

It was so weird. And uneasy at the same time. 

And every time we looked at each other, we'd just look into each other's eyes and then look down at the road again. Like as if our eyes spoke to each other. 

My mind was playing games with me. I was walking with Ajith, someone I didn't like and didn't want to be associated with, and I was feeling a sense of joy inside. My heart was actually happy. My mind was at peace. 

What was happening to me? 

I looked at Ajith one more time. This time, Ajith did not look like Dev's brother to me. He just looked like Ajith. My new buddy. 

No comments: