Sunday, January 22, 2012

Semiya Payasam - My recipe


I love making desserts. That's largely because I have a severe case of chronic 'sweet tooth.' To further substantiate this, I have 8 cavities; all filled in at the tender age of 13. 
Aah! 
Getting back; I love sweets and I love making them. Of course, I'm still only going through the trial and error stages, at least I'm making efforts. 
To be honest, when I cook, I go by my instincts. I don't follow 'these many tbsps of masala or these many portions of this and that' I just taste, adjust and cook. I'd like to call myself an uncomplicated cook. Nevertheless, I will share my recipes, with the measurements, just so you can try them yourselves. 

Without further ado, here's my recipe for Semiya Payasam

Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients:
Milk - 1/2 litre
Sugar - 5 tbsp (may be adjusted as per your requirements)
Clarified butter (ghee) - 1 tbsp
Semiya/Vermicelli - 100 gms
Almonds - soaked, peeled and chopped
Cardamom pods - 4, pressed 

Method of Preparation:
1. Heat milk in a saucepan
2. Add sugar to the milk and stir until sugar is completely dissolved
3. In a fry pan, add 1 tbsp of ghee and fry the vermicelli till golden brown. Turn off heat. 
4. When the fried vermicelli has cooled a bit, slowly add it to the milk. Be careful while adding the vermicelli; if the mixture is too hot the milk may curdle. Ensure you are stirring the milk while adding the vermicelli.
5. Let the milk simmer, till vermicelli rises to the top
6. Add ground cardamoms 
7. Keep stirring till vermicelli is completely cooked
8. Add chopped almonds
9. Serve hot

My simple Semiya Payasam is ready! 

No comments: