Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fraud Tomato Soup - My recipe

I have a very bad habit of saving up ketchup, oregano, chilli flakes sachets. Today I opened my draw to push in a few more of these sachets and found that the draw was already overflowing with the previously collected ones. I then decided that I should do something with these beauties. Soup I thought! 
We usually eat Knorr soups, but lately I realized that more than the good stuff, they are loaded with tons of preservatives. Ya they claim there aren't any, but why believe them? They'll say anything to make a sale. 
So I decided I'd make some tomato soup today; using the ketchup sachets, oregano and chilli flakes. This is not anything like the traditional home made tomato soups and it takes only about 10 mins to cook. That's why the name, 'Fraud Tomato Soup' :)

Here's the recipe: Tomato Soup - Fraud Version
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Ingredients:
Tomatoes - 4 nos
Water - 2 cups
Garlic Pods - 4 nos (finely chopped)
Butter - 175 grams
Tomato Ketchup - 8 sachets
Oregano - 1 sachet
Chilli Flakes - 1 sachet
Pepper - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander, Butter for garnish


Method of Preparation:
1. Peel tomatoes and blend them together in a blender, adding water to dilute the consistency
2. Heat butter in a saucepan
3. Add the chopped garlic into the butter and let it cook till there is no raw smell of garlic
4. Add the tomato puree and cook until the consistency is thickened a bit
5. Add the tomato ketchup
6. Season this with Oregano, chilli flakes, pepper, garam masala and salt
7. Bring to boil
8. Add water if the mixture is too thick. You may wish to add butter at this stage to give the soup a nice buttery texture
9. Remove from flame once you get the desired consistency 
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and a dollop of butter. 

10 mins, 10 easy steps - Your fraud tomato soup is ready to serve! 

No comments: