Saturday, January 28, 2012

Donuts - Inspired Recipe




When I was in class 8, my brother and I used to ask my mum for Rs. 6 each to go buy donuts from FoodWorld. We used to love those sugar glazed donuts, soft and light. We used to devour one everyday after school. Soon after, they stopped selling those donuts and we forgot it in time, leaving it behind as one of our childhood memories. One day, I suddenly had this burning urge to eat donuts. I don't like the ones they sell here in Chennai. They get really hard and stretchy. So I decided I'd make them myself. 
I went shopping and bought all the ingredients and I was ready for the battle. I searched online for tons of recipes for donuts, watched videos on Youtube. I even tried out one batch following a certain recipe from a Youtube video, but I failed miserably. All I got was fried chunks of sweet maida. 

I don't know how, but miraculously the below recipe worked like magic for me. My very first batch, came out perfect. Here's how.

Donuts - Recipe (Frying version)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 yeast
3/4 cup milk
1/4 butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
Oil for frying

For the glaze:
1 cup castor sugar
3 tbsp water
1/4 butter
vanilla essense

Method of preparation:
1. Mix well yeast in 1/4 cup warm water 
2. Take flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre
3. Add the yeast, butter, milk, sugar and egg and knead well
4. Cover for an hour to let dough rise
5. Once the dough has risen to double its size, take it out and roll it on a floured surface
6. Cut out donuts using a donut cutter - I used a dessert bowl to cut out the donuts and a coke bottle cap to cut out the holes in the donuts
7. Let the cut donuts stay for another 30 mins to rise again
8. Fry the donuts till they are brown on both sides
9. Glaze - mix all ingredients till you get a glossy mixture
10. Lace donuts with the glaze and serve. You may also dust some castor sugar on top. 



Any takers? :) 

No comments: