Thursday, October 25, 2012

Happy Meeting

"Naaz, Naaz, Naaz" Dev kept chanting over the phone
'Yes, Dev. What do you want?' I asked him slowly.
"Your name. It has a beautiful sound to it." 
I was blushing on the other end, but didn't want to accept it.
'Please Dev, I don't like it when people make fun of my name'
"I WAS NOT making fun of your name, Naaz! Why would you think that?" He asked concerned
I was smiling here, Dev didn't know.
'I'm kidding. And thanks. So what plans for today?'
"You tell me" he asked me lovingly
Over here, I was flying over the clouds. Dev asking me what my plans were. Such bliss.
'Let's go to the beach?'
"Done. I'll pick you up at 4:00 pm"
'No, I'll come on my own. See you.'

I was feeling exceptionally weird today. Something in our tone had changed. Were we falling in love? I was already in love with him. In a good way. There were so many questions in my mind. 
I got dressed and went to the beach.  I sat down in the spot we usually haunt and started making a circle around me, like demarcating an area for Dev and me to sit. 
It was 3:55 pm and I looked back to see if Dev was anywhere around. I saw him walking towards me. We were such sincere timekeepers!
Huffing and puffing after walking on the bumpy shore, Dev sat next to me, inside the little circle I had drawn. 
I looked at him and smiled. He smiled back at me. As always, his smile blew me away. 
I looked down at the sand. I realized Dev was still looking at me. 
I slowly tilted my head to look at him and he was staring at me.
'What Dev? Why aren't you saying something?' I broke the awkward silence.
He smirked at me and pulled out a little packet. 
"Here open this."
'What is it?' I asked him
"Open."
It was little white box. Paper box. With a pretty ribbon on it. I untied the ribbon and slowly opened the box. 
'What's this, Dev?' 
"It's been an year already, Naaz!"
'I know!'
"So? Shall we?"
I simply smiled.
'Ok, let's do it together.'

We took out the little chocolate cupcake from the box and shared it together. 

"Happy Friendship day, Naaz. I'm glad we met"
'I'm glad I met you too, Dev.'





No comments: