Monday, September 29, 2008

Foreign Vs Indian

X: Where are you studying?
Y: Indian school of some course (with much pride).
X: Oh! (sounding yeah-bleh-thoo!)
Y: and you?
X: I'm going to pursue a bleh bloo course at the crappy uni in the crappy state of the crappy country. Foreign degree!

My foot!

On inquiring about future plans for studies, another 'Y' tells me - I'll do a degree only in the foreign land else I'd rather continue working!
I asked her - not looking for options in India?
She says, 'No. Only foreign. I want to go abroad.'
me: Are you saying options are better abroad?
Y: Nah! I wont' even look for options here. India is boring. I'll go abroad.

WTH ya. I feel like slapping such people.

What's with the notion that Indian degrees are useless? I mean, it's ok if people go abroad b'cos course structures are good or exposure is better or even pay is neat - but not when they say Indian degrees are boring or India itself is boring.

When I tell people that I'm pursuing my masters in a college in my city, some of them go, 'why didn't you go abroad?;' you didn't get anywhere else a?;' 'Cha so sad'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and some of them even say, 'her life is so boring. stuck in India!'

and some of these irritating ppl, compare my profile with others saying, 'ah Sheeba went abroad. Smart girl. why didn't this one go?'

meanies! Seriously, who gave them the authority to provide people with certificates? lol!

anyways, not digressing too much. let's get back. Yeah, so some people think it's demeaning to pursue a course in India. Oh, I almost forgot, it's a trend now that if you're rich, you automatically qualify to study abroad. Sigh! So this guy Ank I know, goes to Melbourne 'cos he's rich and nothing else. He's gonna get back to Ahmedabad to assist his dad in their family business, but, ' I want a foreign degree yaar' he says!

may be he can flash the 'Melbourne' tag to his prospective partner. Ya what else can it bring? 'My husband studied in Australia you know?' she can share with her kitty friends! lol!

Sigh man!

Ok people, stop thinking Indian degrees are useless. Some of the best research is done in India. Some of the most brilliant students have the most the prestigious IIM and IIT tags. Some of the most creative ppl come from places like NID.

So you see, it's not where you study, but how you study. And, why be ashamed of India?

Poor India didn't do anything. It's getting enough bolts and stabs from its brother. Why stab it further and label it boring?

Study well all you 'faar-rin' degree holders! :P

4 comments:

Idle Wild said...

I know!!! My blood boils when people tell me their life's ambition is to 'get out of here'!!! Well, they can get lost, good riddance I say. And you know what, once they DO step out, they'll realise exactly what they've left behind and come crawling back :D Million attempts have been made to get me to do the same, ie: study abroad, but for two years, I've been successful at continuing to work here. I tell them, if I DO go abroad it won't be to study, it'll be to take a holiday while pretending to study :P but I can't stay away from here for long, this is home! :)

Mel Harkin said...

This is such a great post!
I found you at blogger orkut community. Am brazilian, but am passionate for India and all about it. This post of your is so true, so good. I like it. Am now living in NYC...it was a job transfer, but yes, one's dream should not be the one of leaving our routes behind.
Hope you like my blogs too.
http://nycunder25.blogspot.com
http://mel-brazil.blogspot.com
Take care, Mel

Nidhi said...

@ the dropper same in my case to ..

nice post though

vickey said...

... exactly i feel the same thing. Come on, we are the best, I guess if somebody thinks to go abroad. let them go. our country will improve soon without them...