Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Happiness lies in giving

TBH that post title is totally unrelated to what I'm scribbling here. I have discovered the path to happiness and peace. Shutting off, ignoring and deleting. From my mind, virtual existence and everything else.
I know it doesn't make sense. But what I mean is, if I want to remain happy, I shut off anything that will lead me into unhappiness, I ignore things/people who will cause pain and I delete anything that will disrupt my peace.
Recently, I have been observing all the events taking shape in my life and I'm forced to draw a conclusion. And that conclusion is that everything that is happening in my life is trying to teach me something. Unless I learn what that lesson is, the scene perpetuates itself. If I start giving examples, I will have to sit and write here forever. But the underline is, I am learning. Something new, something shocking, something silly, something.
To do some justice to the title, yes, I have also learnt that happiness truly lies in giving. I am often dejected when people take something away from me and don't acknowledge it; knowledge, possessions and so on. But, I'd like to think, if that gave them happiness, then I was the reason. So be it!
And now, moving on to my shutting, ignoring, deleting mantra. I tell you, it really works. It has been working for me for the past few months. Come to think of it, I actually ignored this one person who constantly tried to pull me into a whirlpool of tension and pain. Soon enough, by God's will (I can't believe I'm thanking God!) I was no longer in her clutches. The mystical power of me not wanting her around me, actually took me away from her forever. At first, I did not realize what was happening. But later I came to understand and it completely blew me away. Whenever I was around her, I would always be in a state of irritation and frustration and yet continue to be drawn towards her, like a magnet. And then, one day, she was gone! (Not dead, but gone!)
I learnt that only if we want to be hurt, will we be hurt. What a lesson that was!
Another important lesson I learnt was to take the risk. Even if it costs what we think is very dear to us. For instance, my job was very dear to me. I was underpaid to unimaginable extremes, yet I loved my job. I was so comfortable in my job that it hardly occurred to be that I was losing my value in the job market and that I was actually being exploited. Then it only got worse. Soon, people wanted me to lose my principles and values, because they knew how much I loved doing that work that I was assigned to do.
But, I'm not the one to bend my rules and principles. I stood up for my right. It seemed to shock some people. As if, I was not supposed to speak. And then I walked out.
And I'm happy today! So happy because I'm a person of character. So happy that they also realized the same thing.


I think this post should have been titled lessons in life. Bah!





No comments: