Thursday, April 5, 2007

Home for the forsaken...



Somewhere in the corner of the huge church campus stands a simple two storeyed building with a rusty board that reads "Home for the old aged."
I stepped into the home...an obligation to feed them, so they may bestow their divine blessing.
Old men and women, shrunk and disfigured, muttering among themselves, look at me suspiciously...
I must have looked like an intruder into their sad and sullen lives
It was like they enjoyed loneliness...thrown away from homes...no one to look after them...All alone and lonely...forsaken...yet they seemed to pass...
I noticed among the aging crowd one poor woman...extremely good looking...She was sitting by the window...as if waiting for someone...
I went up to her and sat down...undecided whether to start a conversation...
I finally said "Hello"...no reply...I thought she was deaf...
"What brings you here child?"
She was 78...and if you heard her speak through the radio you would think she was only 30!
"My parents decided to prepare lunch for all of you...you know its easter...and we can all have a good lunch together...my parents cook well..."
I think I spoke too much...
She only said "God bless you all."
She was so pretty...angelic...
I think I saw God...I looked around and noticed that all the other inmates were smiling at me...for the first time...may be for the last time in my life too...I felt as though I was in Heaven...
I promised myself I'd visit this place every year...
We had lunch...and it was time for me to leave...I went to seek her blessings...she looked at me and said "God bless you child" and kissed me...I wanted to cry..."Come back tomorrow Rita"
Rita? "I'm not Rita. Who is Rita?"
"I know you...you are my grand daughter...you came with Freddy to leave me here...forever"
I left...with a heavy heart...full of hatred for Freddy...some affluent businessman settled in India with his Pg 3 wife and spoilt kids...
I went home and prayed for all whom I had met that day and silently cried...them parents of some selfish children reluctant to keep them, a burden on their bejeweled, wealthy shoulders...
A year passed...some killer wave washed away 1000s of lives...Tsunami they called it...
washed away the home for the old aged...
washed away the forsaken...
those sons who left behind their parents...had no way they could rectify their mistakes...the wave washed away their joy...
such a grave mistake...but no forgiveness...
I was Rita to that divine being...she left me...
lonely...forever...





Home for the Forsaken- St.Joseph's Home for the aged, Vailankanni

1 comment:

Su said...

I visited the orphanage today and was feeling so selfish and guilty when I came back home. My mother was telling me to take solace in the empathy I had in me.

Is just empathy enough ?