Thursday, November 20, 2008

Wierd happenings...

Has it ever occurred to you that all of a sudden you start liking what you thought you would detest... In may case, I totally detested 'teaching.' I would never play teacher-teacher in my childhood and even if I was a part of the game I'd simply correct old notebooks or give stars for correct answers, but never really teach.
Now, all of a sudden, I like teaching. It may be temporary... I'll tell you why I like it though...
I'm interning at a NGO as a part of my course work for this semester and with all my gathered 'sighs' and 'grrr' I visited a NGO for the first time in my life...
First day, hated it. Absolutely!
Second day, I was pushed into teaching. I taught. Spoken English classes for the underprivileged.
Third day, I was taking classes for 2 batches.
Now, I take classes for 3 different batches.

Slowly, in time, I started loving it. I don't exactly know what made me like the whole thing. It could be, the kind of respect I earned, the eagerness in learning they showed, the spark each student had, the sense of responsibility the job gave me... it must be something.
The minute I enter class, my whole perspective of life changes. I see women trying to push themselves, to help run their families... I see girls who want to study in good colleges but don't have the money, I see women who don't want to be house maids but a home nurse or a car driver...I see the yearning...
I told them today, don't be scared to face the world. Be confident. If spoken English is your biggest fear overcome it. Speak it. Speak English.
It was echoing in my ears...something like this... 'if teaching, you thought, is what you hate...overcome it... teach...go and teach...'

It's so weird...

No comments: